Lemon poppy seed muffins are one of my favorites so I decided to do some recipe testing and add a healthy twist to the delicious original!
This is a simple recipe that you can throw together in less than 15 minutes, pop in the oven and voila! Breakfast or dessert for the next week, or you could share and no one will believe these flavorful treats are ACTUALLY good for you!
*I’ve been using a scale to bake lately as it’s much more accurate. If you like to bake I advise buying a food scale, you can get one for less than $15 and you won’t regret it, I promise! With that being said, this recipe will be in grams vs. cups! If you’re having issues with conversions, leave me a comment and I’ll help you out!
- 280 g Almond Flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill.)
- 31 g (1 scoop) Vanilla Protein Powder (I used PEScience) * This is optional but be sure to replace with more almond flour if omitting.
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Tbsp Chia Seeds (More for sprinkling on top if desired.)
- 1 tsp Pink Himalayan Sea Salt
- 6 Tbsp Liquid Egg Whites (You could use two egg whites if you don’t have liquid.)
- 60 g Non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 244 g Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- 110 g Avocado (mashed)
- 4 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Tbsp Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl mix together the almond flour, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and chia seeds (All dry ingredients).
- In a medium bowl mix together the egg whites, greek yogurt, unsweetened apple sauce, mashed avocado, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Grease 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil spray, alternatively you could use cupcake liners if you don’t want to risk sticking, but these popped out just fine.
- Evenly distribute batter throughout each cup, pro tip: using an ice cream scoop is a seamless way to dispense batter.
- Pop in the oven for 18-20 mins. Check at 18 minutes to be safe, as all ovens are different and you don’t want these babies to burn!
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5-7 minutes and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Eat immediately (for quality control of course or store in the fridge for maximum freshness. Or freeze and warm them up in the toaster oven (preferred) or microwave when needed!
I hope you enjoy these as much as I did! Please tag me on Instagram @thegoodybagg if you decide to make them! I would love to see how they turn out for you!