I rarely get up early enough to make breakfast, so I’m ALL about the make ahead on-the-go breakfast trends.
These egg cups are my favorite because you can use the egg base and add anything you want! It’s also a delicious savory way to get in protein when you want something more hearty than a smoothie or protein shake!
- 330 g Liquid Egg Whites (about 7 egg whites if not using liquid)
- 3 Whole Eggs
- 8 Slices Turkey Bacon (feel free to sub regular bacon, won’t be as healthy obv.)
- 2 Cups Baby Spinach
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast (gives that cheesy flavor)
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil and lay out strips of turkey bacon. Cook bacon in the oven for 15-20 minutes depending on desired crispness.
- While the bacon is cooking, whisk the egg whites, eggs and nutritional yeast together in a medium bowl.
- Do a rough chop of the baby spinach and mix it in to the bowl or you could add it to each cup individually if you prefer.
- Grease the muffin tin with cooking spray before you add the egg mixture. This step is VERY IMPORTANT, you don’t want your eggs sticking to the pan.
- Pour an even amount of egg mixture to each cup. I recommend transferring to a measuring cup or bowl with a spout for easy pouring.
- When the bacon is done, remove from baking sheet to a cutting board and wait for it to be cool enough to handle. Drop down the oven temperature to 375°F.
- Chop up the bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and sprinkle evenly throughout each cup.
- The egg cups are ready to go in the oven for about 15 minutes, until they are no longer runny/jiggly. Keep an eye on them as eggs can overcook quickly.
- Let them cool for 5-10 minutes. Use an oven mit if the pan is still hot and pop them out by scraping around the edges with a knife. (Should be easy if you greased the pan properly)
- Store in a tupperware container in the fridge and take them out as needed for an easy breakfast in the morning!
- Reheat in the microwave for about a minute and eat them plain, top with hot sauce or sandwich one between an english muffin!