I recently started making my own nut milk because I realized how EASY it is. I used to have a misconception that it was a labor-intensive process that would take hours…boy was I wrong. Not only is it cheaper, but there are no crazy unpronounceable preservatives either.
So, I made cashew milk and I had a thought… what can I do with the leftover pulp aka cashew meal?
Moments later, these protein bites were born.
- 1/2 cup Cashew Meal/Flour *I used a cup of raw cashews for the milk so that left roughly 1/2 cup of cashew meal. (Almond meal could be substituted.)
- 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 scoops Protein Powder (I used PEScience Snickerdoodle.)
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides (optional)
- 1/4 cup Raw Cacao Powder
- 1/4 cup Cashew Milk (Can use any nut milk desired.)
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Slowly stir in the milk until you get a cookie dough-like consistency. You might not use all of the milk or feel free to add more if the mixture is too dry.
- Scoop out a tablespoon and roll until all dough is used, my batch made 17 bites. Pro tip: I greased my hands with coconut oil to keep the dough from sticking.
- Place rolled bites on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put in the freezer for about 30 minutes until hardened.
- Store in a tupperware container in the fridge or freezer for easy snacking!
Forewarning if you don’t like the taste of protein powder, you probably won’t like these bites, but they’re a great quick snack to pop in your mouth before or after a workout! Sometimes I’ll need a little boost of energy before I head to the gym, these are perfect for that without being heavy in your stomach.
Tag me on instagram @thegoodybagg if you make these! I’d love to see your take on them. 🙂
Now go get those balls rolling!